Esri Publishes Switching to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap - 27/02/2019
Esri has announced the publication of Switching to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap. The workbook offers existing ArcMap users a road map to successfully transition from using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software's ArcMap application to using the ArcGIS Pro application.
For close to 20 years, many Esri software users have become skilled in using ArcMap to create maps, perform spatial analysis, manage geographic data, and then share the results. But ArcMap is soon to be retired, and Switching to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap helps users retain that expertise as they switch to the next generation ArcGIS Pro. Best-selling GIS author Maribeth H. Price details the following benefits of ArcGIS Pro:
- Improved performance that takes advantage of multicore architecture.
- Seamless integration of 2D and 3D visualization, analysis, and editing.
- Improved flexibility in creating dynamic labels.
- Creating multiple layouts based on the same map or maps.
- Tight integration with ArcGIS Online, making it easier to share maps and map services.
- A more modern and intuitive GUI.
- Expanded use of defaults that can make life easier for inexperienced users.
Exercises help readers become accustomed to the changes and get hands-on experience using the new tools and workflows in ArcGIS Pro. Readers will learn how to do the following:
- Navigate and become familiar with the ribbon and tabs on the ArcGIS Pro graphical user interface (GUI).
- Work with ArcGIS Pro projects – a new way of organizing datasets, maps, tools, and layers in one place.
- Manage symbols, labels, and raster display.
- Work with the new geoprocessing tools and tasks.
- Manage tables, which differs from ArcMap in several ways.
- Use a new editing interface.
- Create multiple layouts from one map, something that could not be achieved using ArcMap.
Switching to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap is available in print (ISBN: 9781589485440, 172 pages, US$49.99) and as an e-book (ISBN: 9781589485457, 172 pages, US$49.99). Both editions can be obtained from most online retailers worldwide.Last updated: 20/11/2019